Sunday, July 15, 2012

Second Week of July 2012

This will be short and sweet! :)

I finally read People Who Eat Darkness by Richard Llyod Parry. I do like true crimes. Before CourtTV became TruTv and now show nothing but people acting like morons, I would record the crime shows. This was totally up my alley.

The story is about a young British woman named Lucie Blackman who literally vanished off the streets of Tokyo after moving there to work in the seedy Roppongi district of Tokyo to pay off her debt. Her dysfunctional family comes to Japan to get involved in finding her.

I enjoyed the twists and turns of the book. Since it is a factual account, it got dry at times but it didn't loose steam. I enjoyed how her family was an entire load of "messed up drama" all by themselves. This book will appeal to anyone who loves a story about real people and justice being served.

As a woman who traveled alone often to foreign countries, it is true that crime can happen anywhere, even somewhere as safe as Japan. Honestly, I am more terrified to walk down my street in the daytime than I was in the streets of Zurich, Switzerland at night.

Other than that, the week was rather calm and quick. I cannot believe that tomorrow is already Monday and I have yet to make my dinner.

In the world of book writing, I finally finished putting my currents thoughts on paper for B2, now it will get stored away while I start studying for my GRE. I will be working on B1's book query and synopsis these next few weeks. I realized yesterday that I wanted to go back and fix something. The hunt for a title is going strong, I've had some inspiration as I brainstormed words related to my story. Hopefully, a title will emerge.

Until next week, everyone!!

PS: I did take a pic of July's book display but I got lazy and haven't downloaded it from my cell phone. :P

3 comments:

  1. Well, thank you but I do not live in India. I am happy to see that my little blog is being read so far away! Thank you for stopping by. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an interesting book. I know what you mean. I felt safer getting lost in Scotland on foot than I do getting lost in an unfamiliar neighborhood in my car a few miles from my house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is. I've recommended it to quite a few patrons at the library who I knew like stories about real people. One of them returned it Friday who was so pleased. "Bek, that book was great!" I love hearing stuff like that. Now if I can only push the SciFi love onto more people... :)

      I know, it's really a shame that one cannot feel safe in their own city. I hate living feeling like I need to eyes on the back of my head.

      BTW: Thank you for reading my blog and commenting! :)

      Delete