Monday, March 25, 2013

I BAKED BREAD!

Well, it happened. I figured out how to make bread. FINALLY!

Sad part is that I cannot enjoy this with dad. It was the one baking adventure we encountered and failed miserably at. After all these years, I could not believe how easy it was.


First attempt.



This is a 3 cup batch that makes 3 small baguettes/2 medium/1 large. Instead of doing a boule I chose this shape because my husband and I like to make veggie subs.
Second attempt







Experimented with garlic loaves and at this point I was working on the salt amount.









Fourth attempt



3 cup batch makes 8 rolls. By now, the got the salt down, added poppy seeds to the tops and figured out the baking time.










I also experimented making Barbari bread (also known as Tabrizi [-i = from city of Tabriz] bread {where my husband was born}). I can use the same bread recipe but the only drawback, the bread dough method I use is the wet dough method so it's like elastic. Tried it a couple of times without much luck, but I'm going to try. :) But I really like making rolls!

So why bake your own bread when you can buy?
1. Well, it was a goal.
2. After I realized how much bread my husband consumes, and he's used to fresh bread, after reading the labels of the so-called "artisan fresh" bread in the stores, I was flabbergasted at the amount of ingredients. When did bread have 12 ingredients, many of them that I cannot pronounce?? There's supposed to be 4: flour, salt, yeast, water! Since we've eliminated a lot of processed foods, eating everything as fresh as possible, the ease of making my own fresh bread was one obstacle that we overcame. Thankfully, it was stupid easy! :)
3. Cost. Instead of paying $2-$6 per loaf of "fresh" bread in the stores. Making them only costs us $0.88 per 2 medium loaves or 8 rolls. Can't beat that!

Until next time, and yes, I will be writing more!

1 comment: