Friday, February 24, 2012

How many times can someone be honest?

Unlike what the title suggests, this entry is not about how lame people are even though I can fill an entry on that subject.

I am almost done attacking my manuscript with the red pen before Ahead, I have the tedious task of putting the corrections into the computer. As I reached the last two chapters last night, I realized something - it's amazing how many 'bastards', 'honestly', and 'surprisingly' there were. Nice to know that everyone in my story are bastards.

I suddenly thought of a Father Ted sketch (older BBC show about a weird priest living out in an island near Ireland) and his house matron was talking about books she was reading and I remembered one, "In her book it was 'bastard this' and 'bastard that'! It was wall-to-wall bastards!" Makes me chuckle thinking about it.

It just meant that I replaced half of them with other bastard-flavored words. And happily pulled out the Thesaurus for the others or took them out completely. 

As I was going through it this time, I took out some nonsensical things making room for two tiny scenes that seemed a bit more essential. And I made it clear from the beginning through one of those tiny scenes that my heroine's sister receives letters. I kept thinking, "If writing her is a big deal, why am I mentioning it later on?" Solved. Auntie sees the first letter, I throw in more information about my heroine's dead folks and that the sister IS alive. Because the way I had it originally, I would have easily assumed she was dead.

The last one is towards the end. My ruler runs into old friends (nothing bad happens) but seeing a pair of them makes him remember his goal, his promise. I realized that I had been creeping his past into this also. Well, I better push the point. I can't take them out because of the prologue.

My heroine will soon realize that things are definitely not what they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment