Friday, August 10, 2012

Purging the Past is a Pain in the Back

Well, I've been  in bed rest (plus gentle yoga) for two days. I will attempt work today. My husband and I decided to tackle my past - aka "the storage unit". And like the stubborn moron I can be, I wanted to tackle it alone, knowing that I cannot lift more than 10 lbs. Luckily, it was only a mini back flare. I've had much worse.

I still screamed like my bones were smashed. My whole body was trembling and tingling and my back froze up like a washing board. But it wasn't agony. About a 6.5 out of 10. I've experienced a 10, this was much tolerable.

First was the easy stuff, the old papers. I don't need apartment leasing agreements from 8 years ago. Orientation papers from college or anything from college other than my transcripts and degree. Our reuse paper pile is now fat and overflowing. And the reusable school supplies are abundant (for both of us is a plus!)

I did go through my forensic science stuff, and kept most of the papers and notes. They will come in handy for my book. And the best was finding my old writing stuff. I was reading some of my older short stories and I *points to self* could not believe I wrote some of those. They're actually good! I know I do not have the files anymore but I look forward to revamping them and sending two of them off for competitions. It was great seeing my old notes, my old inspirations and muses. I found a writer whom I used to follow her podcasts; Mur Lafferty of I Should Be Writing. Wow, that must have been six years ago. The old blog address I had doesn't work anymore but the link above is the correct one. She has some great advice and wisdom for us newbies.

This weekend, I'll tackle the DVDs and cassettes (my husband brought the boxes home) after I study GRE. Which, by the way, makes me feel like an idiot.

Storage unit is now about 1/8 cleared. The goal is to get it down to half so I can put up the shelves I have in there and enjoy my books which are sitting in boxes.

And I know everyone is wondering if it was hard to part with things. YES. But I think about how my back does not allow me to carry this stuff forever and I'm not enjoying any of it sitting in a storage unit. The truly hard part will be when I go through my art stuff. The supplies, most of it can go. Paint sitting in there for years are no good anyways but I'll have to really determine which paintings, which photos, slides, etc are worth keeping or not. :/ I'm not looking forward to that...

I will be clearing out some old craft supplies in the next few months. I would like to donate them. Any recommendations for groups who will enjoy them in the Palm Beach County and/or Martin County area?


4 comments:

  1. I have used this site to donate office supplies etc to teachers http://www.donorschoose.org/

    And I bet your back feels better once the unit is cleared !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank for stopping by. I will check out the site you posted. And yes, knowing that 1/8 of it that was full of garbage is gone, does feel better. The back is doing much better today. :)

      Delete
  2. I have such a hard time getting rid of things. Sometimes I'll give it to my husband and just say, "I don't need this anymore." Whatever he does with it is his business.

    When I clean, I like to have my paper shredder nearby. It's cathartic. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. A lot of my things was when I had a studio and they were they best days of my life. As my husband was telling me, "You and I didn't really have a childhood and okay we want to hang on to our happiest times but I rather see you enjoy your things, not lock them in here." It's hard, but he was right. We'll attempt a round two in a couple of months.

      Oh yeah, and my "to shred" pile is massive. I love doing it too. I just put on a foreign film (because mine is loud) and just shred away...

      BTW, when are you updating about your trip??? I remembered when I went to Romantic Times in 2006 (it was close to me in Daytona) and had a blast. I can only imagine how yours was!

      Delete